Duo Security: Honorable Mention in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for User Authentication in 2013
Gartner predicts that, by year-end of 2016 about 30 percent of enterprises will choose cloud-based services as the delivery option for new or refreshed user authentication implementations, up from 10 percent today, as reported in their Magic Quadrant for User Authentication report published December 9, 2013.
Mobile devices and cloud computing are proving to be disruptive to the user authentication market for a number of reasons:
- Two-factor authentication has been costly in terms of time and deployment, relying on hardware-based options that have typically been difficult to integrate, requiring hardware and software installation.
- Cloud-based two-factor authentication, when paired with mobile devices, has created a sea change in how user authentication was typically deployed, used and managed by administrators. It now provides:
- Fast and easy deployment, eliminating the need for on-premise hardware and software installation.
- Mobile devices are ubiquitous and convenient for users, making them an effective method of authentication.
- Scalable without hardware, and works well with other B2B Software as a Service (SaaS), B2C web applications, CMS (Content Management Systems), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS).
- Extremely cost-effective when compared to traditional, time-based tokens, like those provided by RSA that require prescription-based payment models with ongoing maintenance costs. Cloud-based authentication doesn’t require implementation costs, and should be priced on a per-user basis.
Following the upward trend of the growing user authentication market, in February, we reported record growth of more than 400 percent in 2012. This significant growth can be attributed to our success in expanding the two-factor authentication market to more than just large enterprises - our cloud-based authentication is now available to small and mid-sized businesses that may not have the resources of a larger business.
As a result, our customer base has grown over 50 percent per quarter over the last seven quarters.
Specifically, growing enterprise adoption of cloud services and the widespread consumer adoption of mobile technology has supplied the demand for protection from data breaches and account takeovers.
Duo’s modern two-factor authentication combines powerful security strength with ease of usability, affordability and scalability for both users and administrators. With innumerable benefits of this new streamlined technology, the cloud-based two-factor authentication market will inevitably skyrocket over the next three years.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.