Duo can be easily added to any Unix system to protect remote (SSH) or local logins with the addition of a simple
pam_duo PAM module or
login_duo module. It has been tested on Linux (RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Amazon Linux), BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD), Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX. The code is open-source and available on GitHub.
Download the current release from the Checksums and Downloads page.
duo_unix-1.11.4 - May 18, 2020
- Added support for Ubuntu 20.04.
- Added support tool to collect information (e.g. logs and PAM stacks) you can send to Duo Support when troubleshooting issues.
- Ubuntu 12.04 no longer supported.
- Updated GPG public key for downloading distribution packages.
duo_unix-1.11.3 - October 2019
duo_unix-1.11.2 - June 2019
- Published a guide to recommended Kerberos configuration for Duo Unix. Thanks to Neal Poole at Facebook for bringing expertise and attention to this topic.
- Updated SELinux policy to allow local logins to use the pam_duo PAM module and made sshd configurable. This requires installation of
selinux-policy-devel on CentOS and RHEL 7 as a prerequisite.
- Added support for spaces in group names when escaped with backslashes in pam_duo.conf and login_duo.conf
- Debian 7 no longer supported.
duo_unix-1.11.1 - November 2018
- Fixed bug causing console login to fail on certain systems.
- Debian 7 support is deprecated and will be removed in the next release.
duo_unix-1.11.0 - October 2018
- Added configuration options for parsing the Duo username out of the GECOS field:
- Support for Debian 9 (Stretch).
- CentOS 5 no longer supported.
duo_unix-1.10.5 - September 2018
- CentOS 5 Support is deprecated and will be removed in the next release.
- Fixed a bug that caused a segfault on systems where the hostname wasn't retrievable.
duo_unix-1.10.4 - August 2018
- CentOS 5 Support is deprecated and will be removed in a future release.
- Support for TLS 1.2.
- Support for LibreSSL 2.7.0 and up.
- Support for Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver).
- Minor memory leak fixes.
- Output a message during authentication when a user is locked out.
- FIPS-compliant when run on a system with FIPS enabled system-wide.
- Sends the hostname to Duo's service so that it appears in the authentication logs.
Note that releases between 1.10.1. and 1.10.4 contained no code changes.
duo_unix-1.10.1 - August 2017
- Fixed bug causing automated tests to fail on OSX.
- Addressed an issue which kept configuration secrets in memory for longer than necessary.
duo_unix-1.10.0 - June 2017
- Added LibreSSL support.
- Added additional GECOS parsing support.
- Increased OSX group count.
duo_unix-1.9.21 - May 2017
- Only allow http_proxy to be defined in configuration file instead of environment. PSA-2017-002
duo_unix-1.9.20 - May 2017
- Fix installation on AIX systems.
- Add support for using OpenSSL 1.1.0.
libduo statically to address issues with the
ldconfig cache and incompatibilities between versions.
- Fixed a bug that produced incorrect SNI when using a proxy.
duo_unix-1.9.19 - August 2016
- Restore the
http_proxy environment variable after Duo is done.
https_timeout config option to
- Handles missing shell and adds default if not specified in
- Add SNI support and a guard for systems that don't support SNI.
- Bug fixes for timeouts and fallback ip addresses.
- Debian 6 no longer supported.
duo_unix-1.9.18 - January 2016
- Added HTTP proxy connection error handling.
- Improved compatibility with Solaris and AIX.
- Debian 6 support is deprecated and will be removed in the next release.
duo_unix-1.9.17 - October 2015
- Fixed PAM return code issue.
duo_unix-1.9.16 - October 2015
- Test fixes.
- Compilation fixes.
duo_unix-1.9.15 - September 2015
- SELinux policy module package support.
- PAM module improvements.
- Removed deprecated SHA1 Entrust CA.
duo_unix-1.9.14 - January 2015
- Added SELinux policy module.
poll(2) error handling.
duo_unix-1.9.13 - October 2014
- Bugfixes for signal handling.
duo_unix-1.9.12 - September 2014
- Include https_timeout configuration parameter.
- IPv6 support on systems that have
duo_unix-1.9.11 - April 2014
- Improve compatibility with FreeBSD 10.
duo_unix-1.9.10 - April 2014
- Use the correct timeout when polling.
duo_unix-1.9.9 - April 2014
- Use poll(2) instead of select(2) for timeouts to support busy systems with many open file descriptors.
- Send User-Agent header with each request.
duo_unix-1.9.8 - April 2014
- Improve support for SHA2 in HTTPS.
duo_unix-1.9.7 - January 2014
- Allow using accept_env_factor with SSH.
- Allow using autopush with PAM on Mac OS X.
See the CHANGES file on GitHub for extended version history.